Monday, March 14, 2011

Up Against Technology

Telephone interviews are a double-edged sword. Today, I helped conduct a mock interview for someone and had a small epiphany in the process – phone interviews are a subjective nightmare. Facing an interview is a challenging task, with a fair degree of self-analysis. Conducting an interview may be more difficult than being interviewed. Consequently, asking interview questions isn’t too bad if you know what you’re looking for, but I found that phone interviews place more weight on the candidate to ensure concise answers that always refer back to the question. Now, I have even more respect for the people who interview me.

On another note, I was reading an article on the Life Hacker website (which has proven useful) and came to the conclusion that people can be quite dumb on the internet. Yes, I find it ironic that I’m blogging about stupid people on the internet. I witnessed people get into quite an intense war of words over a comment suggesting that people ought to proofread their work. Last I checked, proofreading is a standard practice emphasized throughout one’s education; yet, this spawned a rather harsh battle with insults and name-calling. Frankly, I find this stupid with a capitol R. Seriously, is there anything that isn’t sensitive or offensive anymore? I’m all about respecting others, but when did people get so sensitive about such trivial matters as proofreading? If that’s not ridiculous, I don’t know what is.

In yet another technology issue, why is it that when I decide to give up Facebook for the Lent season, my email inbox started to fill up with Facebook emails? I guess we'll see how long it takes for me to want to crack. Key words, want to crack because I won't crack. For those who keep contacting me via Facebook, you can reach me here, instead (throughout the Lent season).

No comments:

Post a Comment