Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Second Chance Buffet: Why I do What I do



I’ve been on the ride of my life lately speaking to different groups about what it means to be a Lutheran. It’s been a little different every time I’ve stood before a group talking about Law and Gospel, being sinners and saints, good theology, bad theology, and the liberation of the cross.

The fact is, I talk a lot! This trait comes in handy when you’re going to give hour long talks on anything. But, there are a lot of things I’d never talk about like I discuss being a Lutheran Christian in the 21st Century. I’ve got passion, hope, and excitement; which counteracts my infamous cynicism and raw and gritty expectations.

No one has to convince me to tell people God’s grace is sufficient; you’d actually be hard pressed to stop me. It’s not because I’m a good person because I’ll never be that apart from the grace of God. I talk about this like I just went to Wrestlemania for the first time (April 7th here I come!) because the grace of God has drawn me to the cross through broad experience of all kinds. I talk about grace, and Jesus, and the cross, not because it makes me a better person, not because I think other people will suddenly become saints, but because it is liberation.

There isn’t a human being on this earth that lacks the need for liberation or the desire for something real. I’m a Lutheran, this is me – whether at the bar or the altar – my life has been changed in such a way by the grace of God that I can’t get any more real than second chances that go beyond second chances. This is why I do what I do, this is why I love what I do, and this is why I will never stop proclaiming the grace and forgiveness of Jesus Christ. Jesus died for YOU, no matter who you are, no matter whether you care, whether you want it or you don’t, it’s been done.

I’m telling you as a friend or a stranger, your sins are forgiven on account of the cross of Jesus Christ. Go in peace and serve the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment