Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Practicing what I Preach...or Trying to


Life is short. Perhaps I’m about to preach to myself, but life is too short to stay pissed off. Initially, theories of atonement were on the agenda for this post, but that wasn’t going places. In searching for a topic that wasn’t deeply personal, a discussion on morals seemed like a good second choice. Ironically, writers-block opened the door to speak about something that matters more than atonement models or moral debates. “Will you practice what you preach; would you turn the other cheek?” Life is too short to stay pissed off, but it’s awful easy to forget that truth.


Dear LOTH church,

You probably won’t read this, but I have some important words for you. I’m sorry I failed you, I’m sorry we parted ways in the fashion we did, I’m sorry I never got to say goodbye, I’m sorry most of your members don’t know what happened, I’m sorry that the circumstances of departure hurt me, I’m sorry that people have had to hear me vent about this for a year, and I’m sorry I let it get to me all this time. Most of the time, I miss you; so, I want you to know all is forgiven. Life is too short to stay pissed off; it hasn’t eased my pain, it hasn’t helped me be the minister I’m called to be, and it hasn’t helped me to practice what I preach. May we walk together, yet on separate paths, in the grace and forgiveness of our Lord. From the bottom of my heart, peace and love to you. Consider this the goodbye I owed you one year ago.

Sincerely,
Tim

P.S. As I looked at my dad’s broken and battered body, a few weeks ago, I was reminded that life is too short and that some things don’t matter as much as we make them seem.

As someone who teaches and preaches, I’ve learned from every young person I’ve ever led. I’ve learned from their families. I’ve learned from the classroom. I’ve learned from books. I’ve learned from friends. I’ve learned from my own family. I’ve learned from the mysteries of God and the trials of life. If you are like me, it is time to make our houses homes, it is time minister while being ministered to, it’s time to practice what we preach – turning the other cheek – and extend grace (even if it doesn’t make sense).


No comments:

Post a Comment